Description
The church of Santa Maria, in the hamlet of Abeto, has a floor that is partly brick and partly stone.
The façade and the bell tower are from 1742; there are two entrances and two altars inside, one dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary of Loreto, the other consecrated to the Holy Crucifix, on which there is a wooden statue of the Crucifix and a panel painting of the Blessed Virgin, famous for miracles.
Inside, until a few years ago there was a notable fragment of a polyptych with the Madonna and two angels by an excellent Florentine painter active in the 14th-15th century known as the “Master of the Academy Annunciation” or “Master of the Straus Madonna” (now in the Diocesan Museum of Spoleto). The Confraternity of the Holy Trinity was erected in this church (hence the “new” name), added to the Congregation.