Description
The fourteenth-century Church of Santa Maria di Loreto stands at the far eastern side of the town of Ocosce, to which a Franciscan convent (novitiate of the Friars Minor) was annexed from 1291 onwards.
The gabled façade of the church has a central oculus window with a projecting lion slaying a lamb. Its walls of mellow ashlars are Romanesque and Gothic in style with four, splayed, single-lancet windows and an ogival portal dating back to 1318, with shafts of little, pink and white stone columns, with the Agnus Dei in the voussoir of the vault, dated 1317. Inside there is a single nave with a presbytery covered by a cross vault with ribs and a trussed ceiling. It holds a polychrome seated Madonna and Child (15th century) made of terracotta in the Abruzzo style, probably by Marino di Giovanni Frasca.
The tiny convent, at first incorporated with the convent of San Francesco di Cascia (1505), was abolished in 1653 and the Church was united with the collegiate of Santa Maria della Visitazione.